The exhibition “The Coats of Arms of the Osor Cathedral” by Jasminka Ćus Rukonić, our member and renown researcher of the heraldic heritage of Islands of Cres and Lošinj, was held in the City Library of Mali Lošinj in November 2010.
From the contents:
The cathedrals of Osor, the old one (at the cemetary) and the new one (at the square), were the seats of the former Osor diocese. The Diocese lasted for almost 1500 years, from thr 5th/6th century until 1828, when its territory was joined with the Diocese of Krk.
The coats of arms located in the Osor Cathedral are various – first of all the coats of arms of ecclesiastic dignitaries (9 arms), then the arms of Osor noble families (11), a coat of arms of state official (1) and the state arms (2). Other heraldic symbols may be considered as well (7) and a cartouche, totaling to thirty exemplars.
The Osor Cathedral coats of arms may be dated from 15th to 18th century, matching the height of the use of arms in public life and the Venetian rule period in Osor.
Thanks to the City Library of Mali Lošinj and the author, the complete contents of the exhibition posters is available here as PDF (in Croatian, 3 MB).